Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Springtime Crazies

Well, it's that time of year again. Time for the yard to be mown, time to plant a garden, time to find time to do all of it. Time for a prescription for nerve pills. I still haven't figured out how we get it all done.
The mini-greenhouses all have different types of basil, cress, dill, sage, and some bright purple zinnias(super excited about these). They work great, but I have renters. The frogs have arrived for the year, and have decided that these little trays of dirt make great hiding places. They wait on me to come out and take the lids off the trays. It's cute and all, but they're taking over my baby plants! Guess I've got to move them.
We have started to move dirt down to our main garden and planting corn, cabbage, broccoli, kale, beets, flowers, strawberries, my fingers hurt! This is an intensive process, and my Hubs has his doctorate in various types of excrement.
We raise worms for their poop, we have horse poop, chicken poop, and compost, or veggie poop. All of this poop makes for great dirt, as the dirt in the middle of NC is all red.clay.mud.
We get our exercise!
We also plant in the Native American tradition of the three sisters, planting in mounds. This didn't work so great last year, but we've made our dirt piles bigger, and didn't use fresh horse poop. My Dad said it was too "hot" (hot: redneck term for the poop is too fresh and will kill your plants because literally gets the ground hot where it's decomposing), and we didn't listen, so we had small jalepeno plants last year trying to make halepenos as big as the plant. But I did learn that gourds we grew last year seem to keep away garden pest animals, because the vines smell horrible! I'm the queen of the run-on sentence.
Our asparagus is in it's second year, and we finally got to cut some to eat. It was delicious, and I can't wait for next year when I can cut lots!
The next endeavour on our list of projects is to learn the canning process. Hopefully I won't blow up the house or singe anyone's eyebrows. It can't be that hard, can it?
As for the Pyrex collection, I'm running out of room in the Grandma Rizzo cabinet. I arrange this stuff. I must be weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment