Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 26, 2023

Dear Diary 1/19/23








This week I've been super busy trying to rein in our spending on food.  It's been difficult.  I love protein bars.  They are expensive!  
So, I've been making the expensive granola, homemade breads, precooked beans, rice.   Mostly I've frozen a lot of it.  Dinners have been made from these items this week.  The biggest hit I believe was the giant pretzels.  Those were awesome.  The real trick is dunking them in boiling hot baking soda water before baking.  

Tonight, will be precooked wild rice with some vegetables of some sort.   I kind of got to where I hated cooking for a while, especially since the pandemic panic has went down.  

I like old cookbooks, they are fun to look at. Especially with some of the things said about women.  

This one, had a section about the drudgery of cooking over open fire.  It’s from 1935.  Another challenge is finding an appetizing recipe in some of these books!

I did try a chocolate chip cookie recipe from a Better Homes & Gardens Cookie Cookbook circa 1975.  They turned out yummy!  They look very ugly, but they will eat, the 8 year old test subject approved.  Only honest pictures here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment