Total Pageviews

Monday, January 23, 2012

And then there were 6...

This was an overly dramatic weekend.  I hit 3 auctions Saturday, bought nothing.  The first auction had absolutely nothing I could sell, or wanted.  At the second I saw one nice red Pyrex casserole, but it went over my price limit I had in my head.   I left that one.  Then I went to an community college auction-waited around for hours for them to get to some nice butcher block tables, then decided I didn't have the patience.  I'd already been to the Goodwill and Salvation Army waiting on them to get around to the tables-nothing there either.  I wanted to suck my thumb. I came home to list some things on Ebay, all was good at home.  Hubs got home from work, had some company...counted chickens around 4:30, still had 8...
....and then went out to put up the girls for the night.  But to my horror, the front of the coop had a lot of feathers.  Went to the back to open it up, and only 4 chickens, and then had to wait until morning to see how many had hidden in the bushes.  Thankfully, 2 had made it through the night, but 2 were gone.  Thank you for the beautiful eggs, my girls.  You will be missed.  We believe it was raccoons this time.  I want to trap them and relocate them somewhere else.  I will not go down without a fight!

I guess my next lesson in raising chickens is that the wild animals around your property watch your every move if you have tasty treats such as chickens.  Bug would be out in the yard most of the day when he was at home, but since he went back to work, we've lost 3 chickens.  They watch...evil little critters...

We've decided we now need Fort Knox for the heniehens.  Sunday we drove by a place that builds wooden chicken coops with tin roofs, and believe we're going to buy one of those, and put it on a concrete pad so nothing can dig under and get in to the girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment